It turns out that some clever people figured out that you could launch popups from Flash, getting around the Firefox default settings.
Fortunately, you can get around it:
about:configinto the Firefox location bar.
- Right-click on the page and select New and then Integer.
- Name it
- Set the value to 2.
The possible values are:
- 0: Allow all popups from plugins.
- 1: Allow popups, but limit them to
- 2: Block popups from plugins.
- 3: Block popups from plugins, even on whitelisted sites.
This has been sufficient to stop the popups that were still occurring when I was reading comics.... spread the word, yo.