It is thus critical for servers to offer refills in a timely fashion. We propose wireless level sensing glassware to aid in this task. Ideally, instrumented glassware, or iGlassware, should have the following characteristics:
By using a combination of RFID and capacitance sensing technologies, we are able to achieve these properties.
- - Extremely inexpensive
- - Washable by standard restaurant dishwashing equipment
- - No maintenance issues (e.g. battery replacement)
- - Familiar glassware appearance (no wires, not bulky, etc.)
- - Support multiple glasses per table
- - Globally unique IDs for each glass
- - Able to recognize a glass of remaining ice as empty of fluid
- - Reasonable measurement resolution.